- 1 Deli Kitchen Sliced Focaccia
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup pasta sauce , warmed
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 2 ciabatta rolls, split lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, for garnish
- 1 torn fresh basil leaf, for garnish
- Arrange three separate shallow bowls or rimmed plates. In one bowl, place the flour. In the second bowl, place the beaten egg. In the third bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the Parmesan cheese.
- Pound the chicken breast halves to even thickness and to fit the size of your buns. Season the chicken breast halves with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Dip one of the chicken breasts in the flour to coat both sides and shake off excess. Then dip it into the egg.
- Finally, dip the chicken breast into the crumb mixture gently pressing to adhere. Repeat with the second chicken breast.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until a golden-brown crust forms and chicken is no longer pink inside, 4-5 minutes per side.
- Spoon the marinara sauce over each cooked chicken breast and place two slices of provolone cheese on top. Cover until the cheese melts. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the softened butter and garlic. Brush onto the cut sides of the ciabatta or Italian rolls. Place the rolls cut side up on a baking sheet and place under the broiler until browned and crisp.
- Transfer the toasted bread to a large cutting board. Assemble the sandwiches by placing one chicken breast on top of each bottom half of bread. Garnish with red pepper flakes and torn fresh basil. Top with the other pieces of bread and serve warm.
- Enjoy! Serve with extra warmed marinara sauce for dipping, if desired.